Kelly interviews Denis Sheehan the author of Instant Relevance: Using Today's Experiences to Teach Tomorrow's Lessons.
Denis Sheeran is an engaging, fun, highly requested nationwide speaker, delivering keynotes, full and half day workshops, and small group professional development to teachers and administrators. He is a Google Certified Educator, Chromebook in the Classroom trainer, Smartboard and Smart Notebook trainer and can customize PD for your school district.
Denis has a Masters Degree in Educational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics Education with a minor in Music, adjunct Professor of Statistics at the County College of Morris in Randolph, NJ and is now the Supervisor of Mathematics, K-12, in Chatham, NJ after having taught high school math, from Algebra to Advanced Placement, for 13 years Lake Forest High School, in Lake Forest, IL.
Denis Sheeran is a certified online and hybrid course teacher and has been asked to serve on the statistics development committee by several online course companies. Denis can help you develop new courses and curriculum to fit the needs of your diverse student population. He was most recently published in the Fall 2015 Statistics Teacher Network Journal. Denis lives in NJ with his wife, four children, and his litter box trained dog, Scout.
Mentioned in this podcast:
• Denis's book Instant Relevance: Using Today's Experiences to Teach Tomorrow's Lessons can be purchase here.
• Denis's website is: www.denissheeran.com
• Denis's most influential read: Teach Like a Pirate by Dave Burgess
• Denis recommends the book Mathematical Mindsets: Unleashing Students' Potential through Creative Math, Inspiring Messages and Innovative Teaching by Jo Boaler
• Denis also recommends The Gift of Failure: How the Best Parents Learn to Let Go So Their Children Can Succeed by Jessica Lahey
• Denis hosts a Twitter Chat each Wednesday at 9:30 PM at #makeitreal
• Denis's favorite app is Desmos, an amazing graphing calculator. Denis says this is a game-changer.