If you are interested in the low-carb, moderate protein, high-fat, ketogenic diet, then this is the podcast for you. We zero in exclusively on all the questions people have about how being in a state of nutritional ketosis and the effects it has on your health. There are a lot of myths about keto floating around out there and our two amazing cohosts are shooting them down one at a time. Keto Talk is cohosted by 10-year veteran health podcaster and international bestselling author Jimmy Moore from “Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb” and Pittsburgh, PA functional medicine practitioner Dr. Will Cole from DrWillCole.com who thoroughly share from their wealth of experience on the ketogenic lifestyle each and every Thursday. We love hearing from our fabulous Ketonian listeners with new questions–send an email to Jimmy at firstname.lastname@example.org. And if you’re not already subscribed to the podcast on iTunes and listened to the past episodes, then you can do that and leave a review HERE. This has been an amazing year for Keto Talk. With the holiday season coming up and Jimmy and Dr. Cole traveling quite a bit, we are taking a break for a few weeks. Don't worry, though, come January your favorite stop for Keto goodness will be back bigger and better than ever! Listen in today as Jimmy and Will are joined by Dr. Carrie Diulus from DrCarrieDiulus.com to answer your questions about vegan keto in Episode 92.
JIMMY AND DR. ADAM NALLY’S NEW SUPPLEMENT LINE
Go to PayPal.me/KetoTalk to make a donation. You can set up automatic monthly payments there
THE PERFECT KETO SUPPLEMENT USE COUPON CODE LLVLC FOR 15% OFF NOTICE OF DISCLOSURE: Paid sponsorship
“You are about ten times more bacteria than human. What researches are finding is that the microbiome is implicated in nearly every chronic disease in the body.” – Dr. Will Cole Here’s what Jimmy,Will, and Dr. Diulus talked about in Episode 92:
– Carrie Shares Her Story
– Let's Settle This: Is The Keto Diet Ruining The Environment?
– 12 Things No One Tells You About Going Vegan:
– A Vegan Ketogenic Diet by Dr. Mark Hyman
MAKE KETO EASIER WITH FBOMB JIMMYLOVESFBOMB FOR 10% OFF YOUR FIRST FOOD ORDER NOTICE OF DISCLOSURE: Paid sponsorship
– STUDY: Effect of a 6-month vegan low-carbohydrate ('Eco-Atkins') diet on cardiovascular risk factors and body weight in hyperlipidaemic adults: a randomised controlled trial. 1. How do you eat a vegan keto diet and will it prevent the top chronic diseases from happening?
Hi Jimmy, Will and Carrie,
Thank you for this special vegan keto episode. My husband and I have adopted a traditional ketogenic approach and have seen improvements in our body composition. I have noticed greatly improved energy, mental performance, and psychological health. In fact, last night I played two hours of volleyball and had more energy than the much younger fitness coach on my team!
My mom is 67 years old, semi-retired, and is struggling with unplanned weight gain, muscle loss, low energy, a weak immune system, slow healing, brain fog, moodiness, and mental function issues that seem to be linked to elevated blood sugar levels. We've been talking about keto for about a year, but she is afraid to try it because she is a vegetarian (that includes no dairy except butter, but she will eat eggs). She thinks there won't be anything left for her to eat if she cuts carbs. She has been eating high-carb, low-fat, and low protein. To her, a can of black beans is enough protein for one day and a teaspoon or two butter is plenty of fat. She has been trying to get omega-3 fats from flaxseed and canola oil. She is excited about hearing what you have to share on this podcast and wants to know the answers to the following questions.
- How do you prepare quick and easy vegan keto recipes? - How do you prevent hunger while eating vegan keto? - Where do you get your fat intake from on vegan keto? - What omega-3 sources of fat are there to consume? - How much protein is appropriate on a vegan keto diet and how do you get it? Tofu? - Will supplements be necessary to get all the vitamins in my vegan keto diet? - Dementia, heart disease, and cancer prevention are my goals with going vegan keto? Will this diet help me reach these goals?
Thank you so much for your help answering these questions for my mom!
“In the next four or five years this is what everybody is going to be talking about. Educate yourself now so that you can make an informed decision about your health.” – Jimmy Moore 2. What are your thoughts on protein combining, getting complete proteins, and incorporating pea protein to get a better amino acid profile on a vegan keto approach?
I’m a vegan keto dieter and would love to hear Dr. Carrie’s views on essential amino acids eating this way. Protein combining is a contentious issue in the vegan world and I’ve found through my own research tracking my macronutrients that vegan keto IS limited by lysine and to some extent methionine as we mostly cut out the legumes. I’d love to hear her views on the subject of protein combining, how to get complete proteins on a vegan keto diet, and incorporating things like pea protein to help achieve a full amino acid profile for people who can’t or don’t consume soy.
Join The Keto Clarity Club For $1 Blood Ketone Test Strips!
3. What are you responses to these questions from a practicing physician?
As a practicing physician, I’d love to have the answers to the following questions regarding a vegan keto nutritional approach:
- What fats do you eat? - What carbs do you permit? - Are there any whole grains? - Any beans? - Any fasting involved? - Supplements you take? - Do you monitor ketosis? How? - What exercise do you recommend when doing vegan keto? - How many days a month do you recommend eating vegan keto? Or is it constant? - Do you ever go off vegan keto and return to a plant-based lower-fat diet to cycle out of ketosis? - Are there any concerns about osteoporosis from acidosis?
Thanks for your answers,
Dr. Joel Kahn
GET A $39 BOTTLE OF OLIVE OIL FOR JUST A BUCK GET YOUR $39 BOTTLE FOR JUST $1 NOTICE OF DISCLOSURE: Paid sponsorship
4. How do you prevent nutrient deficiencies on a vegan keto diet? What impact would incorporating an occasional vegan keto day into my regular ketogenic diet?
Hi Jimmy, Dr. Cole, and Dr. Diulus,
How does someone eating a vegan keto diet get their Vitamin B12? I thought Vitamin B12 could only be found in animal-based foods. And what about other nutrients that only come from animals such as dietary cholesterol? If a vegan keto diet is a sustainable way of fueling the human body over the long-term, then does that mean you HAVE to take supplements in order to remain healthy? I’m sure your body can “get by” for a while, but at what cost later on...I’m very interested in what impact implementing vegan keto days into my regular ketogenic diet.
Thank you for your help,
BECOME A NUTRITIONAL THERAPY PRACTITIONER
Sign up by February 2018 for the 9-month program NOTICE OF DISCLOSURE: Paid sponsorship
5. Why do some people find it difficult to lose weight on a vegan keto diet as compared with a meat-based ketogenic nutrition plan?
I'm on a vegan keto group on Facebook and I often read about people gaining weight instead of losing it while eating that way. Why does it seem more difficult for some people to lose weight while eating vegan keto than meat-eating keto dieters? Is there something in the animal-based foods that contributes to easier weight loss success that is lacking in a vegan keto diet? Thanks for helping me understand this better.
Leave us a review at Apple Podcasts!
LINKS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 92 – SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Join Jimmy Moore’s Keto Support Group: KetoClarityAcademy.com – SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Join The Keto Clarity Club For $1 Blood Ketone Test Strips! BestKetoneTest.com – SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: The world’s freshest and most flavorful artisanal olive oils. Get your $39 bottle for just $1. – SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Become A Nutritional Therapy Practitioner – SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Jump start your ketogenic diet with PerfectKeto.com/Jimmy (USE PROMO CODE LLVLC FOR 15% OFF) – SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Drop an FBOMB for the freshest, high-quality fats from JimmyLovesFBomb.com (Get 10% off your first food order with coupon code “JIMMYLOVESFBOMB”) – Let's Settle This: Is The Keto Diet Ruining The Environment? – 12 Things No One Tells You About Going Vegan: – A Vegan Ketogenic Diet by Dr. Mark Hyman – STUDY: Effect of a 6-month vegan low-carbohydrate ('Eco-Atkins') diet on cardiovascular risk factors and body weight in hyperlipidaemic adults: a randomised controlled trial. – Jimmy Moore from “Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb” – DR. Will Cole D.C. from DrWillCole.com
– DrCarrieDiulus.com – HELP KEEP KETO TALK ON THE AIR: MAKE A DONATION HERE