If you are interested in the low-carb, moderate protein, high-fat, ketogenic diet, then this is the podcast for you. We zero in exclusively on all the questions people have about how being in a state of nutritional ketosis and the effects it has on your health. There are a lot of myths about keto floating around out there and our two amazing cohosts are shooting them down one at a time. Keto Talk is cohosted by 10-year veteran health podcaster and international bestselling author Jimmy Moore from “Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb” and Pittsburgh, PA functional medicine practitioner Dr. Will Cole from DrWillCole.com who thoroughly share from their wealth of experience on the ketogenic lifestyle each and every Thursday. We love hearing from our fabulous Ketonian listeners with new questions–send an email to Jimmy at firstname.lastname@example.org. And if you’re not already subscribed to the podcast on iTunes and listened to the past episodes, then you can do that and leave a review HERE. Listen in today as Jimmy and Dr. Will Cole share the Keto good news in Episode 97.
INSURANCE JUST FOR KETONIANS
NOTICE OF DISCLOSURE: Paid sponsorship
“When you are fat adapted, cravings are mitigated, unlike most other diets where it's just a matter of time until you give in to the cravings.” – Dr. Will Cole HERE’S WHAT JIMMY AND WILL TALKED ABOUT IN EPISODE 97:
– Ketogenic Diets Are B.S. for Weight Loss — Here's Why
– High-Fat Diet May Fuel Spread of Prostate Cancer
– This Food Is Causing Inflammation & Making You Age Way Faster
– More than two million lazy Brits will face serious health problems in the next 20 years
– Students try the ketogenic diet
– 'I was miserable and lost': Former binge eater who weighed 300LBS reveals how she lost almost 100LBS by 'breaking up with carbs' and following a ketogenic diet
YOUR NEW KETO DIET ALLY
– Why do I become more stressed, anxious, depressed, and have worse brain health when I switch to eating a ketogenic diet?
Hey Jimmy and Will,
I love what you guys do. You’re both a wealth of knowledge and I have learned so much from listening to your podcast. I am a 25 year old male, 220 pounds, 13 percent body fat, and a weightlifter. I have experimented with low-carb/ketogenic diets many times consuming 3500 calories with a macronutrient ratio of fat/protein/carbs at 75/23/3 making sure I supplement with plenty of electrolytes and high-quality sources of fat. My stress levels are somewhat high, but I work on keeping them in check. So here’s my issue: when I switch to a more ketogenic approach, I become very stressed, anxious, somewhat depressed, and actually feel like my brain is working at half-capacity. Based on what I hear you guys talk about with other Ketonians, this is quite the opposite of what should be happening. Why do I feel so crappy? My hypothesis is low serotonin levels, high cortisol levels, and perhaps a genetic inability to thrive on keto. Am I on to something or do you have anything else that I haven’t thought of yet? I am extremely frustrated because I believe keto is the ideal way to eat. Help please!
– STUDY: Gluten free, low-carb diets could pose serious health risks to unborn babies
MAKE KETO EASIER WITH FBOMB
1. Is there a connection between the high-fat content of a ketogenic diet with a hiatal hernia?
I started keto to help me solve my acid reflux. I've been eating this way for 2 weeks and it seems like my acid is actually getting worse. It gets especially bad after I’ve consumed a really heavy, fatty meal. I am 5’6”,119 pounds, and pretty active. I am trying to gain weight so my daily fat intake is 200g with 20-30g carbohydrates, and 80-100g protein. I've been in ketosis for about 10 and experienced the keto flu which is now getting better. One week into eating keto, I had an upper endoscopy done and they found a small hiatal hernia. Their brochure, of course, said to stay away from fatty foods. They are also checking for gluten intolerance and I already know that I have a slight intolerance to lactose as I would break out with zits every time I drank milk. I haven’t received the result of those tests yet and I haven’t heard much about keto and the impact on a hiatal hernia. Are you are aware of any connection?
2. Would a ketogenic approach provide any relief from the symptoms I’m experiencing from having mono?
Hi Jimmy and Will,
Thanks for your podcast! I'm a 60 year old woman and have been keto off and on for years and strict keto of 20g carbs daily with intermittent/extended fasts mixed in since May 2016 netting blood ketones levels of .8-2.4. I don't have very much weight to lose and instead use this way of eating to stop my sweet cravings. I have had horrible exhaustion for years and have gone through many treatment programs from many alternative, functional medicine/nutrition programs, but nothing worked. Recently, an MD diagnosed me with the convalescent stage of mono and I have finally found my diagnosis! Sadly, this MD had no solution. Have you heard anything about the relationship between keto and mono? I can see my lymph nodes in my face and neck since they are often very swollen at night, I have annoying tinnitus, and I’m also quite bloated with tummy aches often—my doctor said it’s the mono causing these issues. Any ideas for me to try? I've spent so much money and time trying to get better, I'd love some hope. Thank you so much in advance.
THE PERFECT KETO SUPPLEMENT USE COUPON CODE LLVLC FOR 15% OFF NOTICE OF DISCLOSURE: Paid sponsorship
"With keto so popular right now, it's irresponsible journalism to not give readers the whole story. Try the diet, then report on the actual results." – Jimmy Moore 3. Could eating a ketogenic diet reduced the likelihood of developing a streptococcal bacteremia infection?
Hi Jimmy and Dr. Cole,
I’m 21 years old and have been ketogenic for the past three months seeing major improvements in my appetite, weight, and overall well-being. In 2016, I suffered from streptococcal bacteremia without ever finding the source of the infection. The infectious disease doctor said it was unlikely for me to ever develop it again, but I have a hindsight question about this: had I been eating keto before this happen, could it have reduced the likelihood of me having to suffer from this? Thanks for all the amazing work you do.
KETO TALK MAILBOX
– Will taking glycine force your body to burn leftover glucose or will it use stored body fat? Am I in ketosis or ketoacidosis?
I have been eating low-carb for many years and have only a few more pounds left to lose. I'm currently 5'9" and 142 pounds. I use straight glycine powder (about 4g under my tongue and hold it there for at least 2 minutes) about 45 minutes after every meal to help my digestion. From what I understand, glycine is an amino acid that helps to release insulin to lower glucose and causes glycogen to be released leading to the release of fat cells. My blood ketones range from .9-1.9 mmol and my blood glucose is usually 4.8 to 5.4 (86-97 mg/dL). Am I in ketosis or ketoacidosis? Is the glycine forcing my body to burn leftover glucose and not actually burning fat? Or am I burning stored body fat? I’m so confused now and hope that you guys can clear this up for me.
Thank you for your help,
BECOME A NUTRITIONAL THERAPY PRACTITIONER Sign up by February 2018 for the 9-month program NOTICE OF DISCLOSURE: Paid sponsorship Apple Podcasts reviews:
LINKS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 97
– SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Life Insurance For Your Keto Lifestyle (Use promo code LOW-CARB) – SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Staying in ketosis just got easier – Your new keto-diet ally (Enter MOORE15 at checkout for fifteen percent off your first order.) – SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Drop an FBOMB for the freshest, high-quality fats from JimmyLovesFBomb.com (Get 10% off your first food order with coupon code “JIMMYLOVESFBOMB”) – SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Jump start your ketogenic diet with PerfectKeto.com/Jimmy (USE PROMO CODE LLVLC FOR 15% OFF) – SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Become A Nutritional Therapy Practitioner – SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: The perfect keto-friendly snack with 85% FAT (Use coupon code JIMMY to get 15% off your order of Gra-POW!) – Ketogenic Diets Are B.S. for Weight Loss — Here's Why – High-Fat Diet May Fuel Spread of Prostate Cancer – This Food Is Causing Inflammation & Making You Age Way Faster – More than two million lazy Brits will face serious health problems in the next 20 years – Students try the ketogenic diet – 'I was miserable and lost': Former binge eater who weighed 300LBS reveals how she lost almost 100LBS by 'breaking up with carbs' and following a ketogenic diet – STUDY: Gluten free, low-carb diets could pose serious health risks to unborn babies – Jimmy Moore from “Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb” – DR. Will Cole D.C. from DrWillCole.com