If you are interested in the low-carb, moderate protein, high-fat, ketogenic diet, then this is the podcast for you. We zero in exclusively on all the questions people have about how being in a state of nutritional ketosis and the effects it has on your health. There are a lot of myths about keto floating around out there and our two amazing cohosts are shooting them down one at a time. Keto Talk is cohosted by 10-year veteran health podcaster and international bestselling author Jimmy Moore from “Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb” and Pittsburgh, PA functional medicine practitioner Dr. Will Cole from DrWillCole.com who thoroughly share from their wealth of experience on the ketogenic lifestyle each and every Thursday. We love hearing from our fabulous Ketonian listeners with new questions–send an email to Jimmy at firstname.lastname@example.org. And if you’re not already subscribed to the podcast on iTunes and listened to the past episodes, then you can do that and leave a review HERE. Listen in today as Jimmy and Dr. Will Cole answer all your keto questions in Episode 98.
GET A $39 BOTTLE OF OLIVE OIL FOR JUST A BUCK
GET YOUR $39 BOTTLE FOR JUST $1 NOTICE OF DISCLOSURE: Paid sponsorship
“We've seen disease and inflammatory markers skyrocket even though people are following the government's dietary recommendations.” – Dr. Will Cole HERE’S WHAT JIMMY AND WILL TALKED ABOUT IN EPISODE 98:
– The healthiest dairy-free milk is soy, study says
– U.S. News is wrong about what constitutes the best diet
– TOP FOODS TO EAT FOR FULL NUTRITION AND BALANCED MEALS, AS RANKED BY SCIENTISTS
– WANT TO FEEL FULL? EATING TWO BURGERS IS BETTER FOR YOUR HEALTH THAN ORDERING FRIES
– Sugar, Not Fat, Causes Weight Gain: Professor Of Medicine
– Has the Keto diet almost cured this girl of her epilepsy? Five-year-old no longer has 60 fits a day after switching to the plan and eating thousands of avocados a year
NOTICE OF DISCLOSURE: Paid sponsorship
– Does getting hungry during a 24-hour fast mean I’m not yet keto-adapted?
Hello Jimmy and Will,
I love keto and appreciate you guys for all of the info you put out there! I'm a 5’7” tall, 31-year old female, and weigh 158 pounds. I have been on a ketogenic diet for the past five weeks keeping my carbohydrate intake between 30-50g daily. I work out for an hour with HIIT and weight training about 3-4 times per week as well as 2-3 one-hour classes of indoor cycling weekly. Overall, I have been feeling pretty good with only occasional fatigue. I recently decided to add in fasting to my routine doing several 24-hour fasts so far. I’ve noticed I start to get hungry about 12 hours into these 24-hour fasts and the hunger just lingers for the rest of the fast. Does this mean I’m not keto-adapted? Thanks for your help!
– STUDY: Ketogenic Diet Can Sustain Weight Loss Better Than Low-Fat Diets, Says Study
1. Can someone who produces excess bile eat a ketogenic diet if they can’t handle a higher fat intake?
My daughter is a big believer in keto and she really wants to do the diet for her health. But she has a terrible time with eating fat, even the healthy fats, because of a bad bile reflux condition where she produces too much bile. Foods like guacamole, sausage, and even eggs make her queasy and nauseated. The standard medical advice for this condition is to go on a low-fat diet--something she knows from her research and experience is not a good thing. Do you have any ideas for her about how she can implement a ketogenic approach with this excessive bile issue? I should add that they have done an endoscopy and the doctor could see where her stomach lining was quite inflamed. She takes medications for that and if she misses just one dose, the result is horrible abdominal pain.
Thanks so much for your help!
YOUR NEW KETO DIET ALLY
“My theory is that people get hungry after eating crappy carbage because they are not feeding their body the nutrients their body is craving.” – Jimmy Moore 2. Does consuming sugar and carbs make the infection from legionnaires' disease better or worse?
Hello my friends,
I am new to keto and had to deal with this condition last week known as legionnaires' disease which is a severe form of pneumonia from the lung inflammation usually caused by an infection. I felt like I was basically starving to death. I consume carbs and sugar the last couple of days of dealing with this because I felt like my body needed them since I was in a mentally dark place. This condition left me crying often and feeling absolutely awful. Did the sugar and carbohydrates I consumed dealing with this make the infection worse or are they somehow a good thing when dealing with legionnaires' disease? Thank you for your insights.
3. Why are my fasting blood glucose levels rising since giving up wine when I went keto and will they normalize over time?
Hi Jimmy and Dr. Cole,
I've been following a low-carb diet for years and recently shifted over to keto. I love drinking wine every single day and I realized I probably was drinking too much of it. BOO! So I decided to give it up altogether to see if it would boost my ketogenic efforts to lose weight and improve my health markers. I lost 35 pounds a couple of years ago eating low-carb, but I haven’t lost anything more since. One thing I’ve always hung my hat on despite the lack of weight loss is my impeccable blood sugar control as well as other health markers I regularly track. I take a medication called Atacand Plus for hypertension but no other medications. I’m sure dropping the remaining 35 pounds of weight from my body will enable me to come off that medication for good. So here’s my issue: since going keto and coming off of my beloved wine, my fasting blood glucose levels have risen. I thought coming off the wine would be a good thing, but it seems my blood sugar has gone in the opposite direction. What’s causing this to happen and will it eventually normalize over time?
Any insight into this is greatly appreciated. Love your podcasts!
MAKE KETO EASIER WITH FBOMB
KETO TALK MAILBOX
– How do Ketonians effectively explain why people will no longer want to eat their favorite carbohydrate foods anymore once keto-adapted?
Hey Jimmy and Dr. Cole,
I’ve been keto for about a year and a half and had a few bad weeks over the holidays where I went in and out of ketosis and started having carb cravings again. The most amazing and hard to believe thing about keto has been the way carb cravings completely vanish for good so long as I stay in ketosis. In fact, I am in an office right now with a box of donuts right next to me and I simply don’t care nor do I have a desire to consume them. That’s utterly amazing and something I wouldn’t have imagined possible before being keto and experiencing it for myself. Several people in my life have adopted the ketogenic lifestyle after having seen my success and several others showed interest but could not get past the idea of giving up their beloved carbs. I try to explain to them that after they get keto-adapted, they won’t want carbs anymore. But it’s so hard for them to imagine what that would be like. I think that the biggest challenge we Ketonians have is effectively communicating why people won’t want to consume bread, pasta, chips, and all the other crappy carbage they think they can’t live without anymore. Do you have any suggestions on how to best do this?
Thanks so much for all you do!
THE PERFECT KETO SUPPLEMENT USE COUPON CODE LLVLC FOR 15% OFF NOTICE OF DISCLOSURE: Paid sponsorship
Apple Podcasts reviews:
BECOME A NUTRITIONAL THERAPY PRACTITIONER Sign up by February 2018 for the 9-month program NOTICE OF DISCLOSURE: Paid sponsorship LINKS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 98
– SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Life Insurance For Your Keto Lifestyle (Use promo code LOW-CARB) – SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Staying in ketosis just got easier – Your new keto-diet ally (Enter MOORE15 at checkout for fifteen percent off your first order.) – SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Drop an FBOMB for the freshest, high-quality fats from JimmyLovesFBomb.com (Get 10% off your first food order with coupon code “JIMMYLOVESFBOMB”) – SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Jump start your ketogenic diet with PerfectKeto.com/Jimmy (USE PROMO CODE LLVLC FOR 15% OFF) – SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Become A Nutritional Therapy Practitioner – SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: The perfect keto-friendly snack with 85% FAT (Use coupon code JIMMY to get 15% off your order of Gra-POW!)
– STUDY: Ketogenic Diet Can Sustain Weight Loss Better Than Low-Fat Diets, Says Study – Jimmy Moore from “Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb” – DR. Will Cole D.C. from DrWillCole.com